Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Days and Guilty Pleasures


What is there better to do on a snow day than veg out in front of the TV and watch your favorite TV show? Ok, now, I'm not talking about the one that you tell everybody is your favorite. I'm talking about the one, that when you find it while channel surfing you have to stop and watch every single time. The one that no one knows is your favorite. The one that you watch in secret because it just makes you feel good inside, but is not in vogue. Now, take your mind out of the gutter, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about your favorite childhood show, or maybe one that you loved that everyone else thought was stupid. That show that you bought the entire series on dvd and hide it so no one sees it. What was that show?

If you are one of those people who "never watch TV," or "only watch public television, never commercial television," stop reading. This isn't for you. First, I don't believe you anyway. People who claim they never watch TV are just out to impress someone some where with their "superior intellect." They probably watch TV on their Iphones in the dark. They may not "own a TV," but they watch. Second, I like to believe in what Spock said in one episode of Star Trek, "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Play is a way to relax the mind, and what does that better than a good old TV show.

Yes, Star Trek is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. The original series, I never really got into the others that much. None of my friends were "trekkies, or trekkers" what ever the current lingo is. I forced the neighbor kids to play Star Trek with me all the time. They played along, but I know they wanted to play other things. We did have a lot of fun adventures on our little star ship Enterprise.

It is not my only TV guilty pleasure. I also enjoy a day with Major Nelson and Jeanie on I dream of Jeanie. It may not be politically correct, Jeanie calling Major Nelson master and being constantly demeaned for being a woman, but Jeanie usually got the best of the men. And Dr. Bellows, what riot. Hayden Rorke, he had comic genius. His timing and facial expressions. "you've done it to me again, Major Nelson, You've done it to me again." "He snowed on me." He was an unsung hero of sixties comedy. Someday I will own this on DVD.

Probably my most favorite would have to be Gilligan's Island. I LOVE that show. This one I do own the entire series on DVD. Yes I admit it, the entire series. Gilligan just makes giggle. Even after watching each episode at least 1000 times, Gilligan can still make me giggle. Mr. Howell can get me to laugh out loud. I think Mr. Howell was the secret to that show. You wanted to hate him for his greed, snobbery and pomposity but he was so lovable and you ended up wanting to hug him like he hugged his teddy bear.

What is your own guilty pleasure? Maybe you are a Bonanza fan? Perhaps Dark Shadows was your drug of choice? Dick Van Dyke, I Love Lucy? Too young to recognize these titles? Maybe Saved By the Bell, Full House, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Yes, cartoons count. One thing I still love about my dad is his unashamed ability to watch cartoons. He would get up with me on Saturday mornings and watch Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, and Pop Eye. He still enjoys watching cartoons. I love it.

So, if you are reading this, post a comment and tell me what favorite snow day guilty pleasure TV show are you watching today? Come on, you have one. Just tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment