Sunday, February 13, 2011

It's SPRING!!!!

Other than my kids not being here to look at me like I'm ready to be put in a home, Let's All Pretend It's SPRING Day was a huge success. Dug the grill out of the snow drift it has be stuck in for months and grilled lots of good food. I changed my menu a little from what I had listed the other day. Instead of cheese burgers, I decided brats sounded good. I also decided to experiment with plantains. Why? I don't know, I've always been curious. When I was at the store the other day there they were. I bought two and brought them home with no idea of what you are supposed to do with them. Food Network to the rescue. I found a recipe on their web site. It was one by Bobby Flay. I wanted a recipe that grilled the plantains and he had a few. It had a brown sugar, honey and orange juice glaze. It also called for cilantro, which I didn't have, I used a little parsley instead. The glaze was good. The plantains, eh. I don't think I am a fan. They weren't horrible, but they weren't good either. They kind of tasted like a potato, but not much else. I like to experiment with at least one dish whenever I make a "holiday" dinner. I figure if it isn't good, there are a ton of other things to eat. If it is good, I can make it again. I won't make this again.


I  made cowboy beans. I love cowboy beans. I put lots of brown sugar, honey, molasses, maple syrup and bbq sauce in them and then bake them forever. Or like I did today, put them on the grill for ever. Mmmmm MMMM! They turned out very well. Cowboy beans are pretty much a staple at a holiday dinner for our family. Josh loves them. His Grandpa Berry dubbed them cowboy beans when Josh was little and the name stuck.

I got some frozen corn on the cob and put it on the grill. It was of course, disappointing. We are from Iowa. Frozen corn on the cob just doesn't cut it. Had to try though. We also had potato salad. If you are going to grill you must have potato salad. I think it is a law or something. If it isn't it should be.

Desert was grilled pineapple and ice cream. If you have never grilled pineapple you need to try it. This was something I heard on Food Network and tried it once for an experimental dish for a  Fourth of July menu. It was good. It was very good. Willie loves it. When we grill now we usually grill pineapple. It is pretty easy, too. Don't let a pineapple scare you. You just need to show it who is boss. Chop off the top and bottom and then run a knife down the sides. That's all it takes to peel it. then cut it in fourths, cut away the core, and finish cutting it into spears. Coat with canola oil and sprinkle with sugar. Grill until you get grill marks on all sides.
You can either eat it just like that or you can add it to other things. Willie eats it plain. I like it on ice cream.
Today felt like spring. The weather even cooperated. It was sunny and warm. Let's All Pretend It's Spring day works every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment