Thursday, March 31, 2011

More Flowers

 As spring continues to warm the earth beneath our feet and the hearts in our chests, new flowers keep showing up in our yard.

This flower showed up  day or two ago. I don't know what it is, any ideas? I just know that it is very pretty and very welcome. If you look closely at the large leaf to the left you will see a happy spider bathing in the afternoon sun.
Every little sign of spring makes me long more and more for warmer weather and time outside. We have dog's tooth violet in our yard. It hasn't yet bloomed, I'm excited to see what color it will be. I have never seen dog's tooth in a yard. My mother tried very hard to transplant some in her yard when I was a child. She never had success. I think she would be tickled to see the large patch of it growing thickly in my yard. It reminds me of her every time I look at it. It reminds me of happy times with her.

My mother loved wild flowers. She quite often would go to ditches in Warren county and try to steal away wild flowers growing in them to replant in our yard. Every once in a while she would even, under threat of arrest, sneak into to a county park here and there to sneak out a yellow violet or some other treasured wild flower.
 I suspect some of these flowers in my yard may be ones that she would have been trying to smuggle out and relocate into hers.

I don't know what these little blue flowers are either. Maybe bluebells? Ok, just looked up bluebells on the Internet, this is not what they look like. Any help in naming these would be appreciated. I think my mother might have known what these are, but she is no longer here to ask.

I have many good memories of my mother, some that are not. Sometimes it is too easy to dwell on the bad memories. Today though, it is memories of a sneaky lady with a trowel and bucket, snitching wild flowers to take home to her garden.
We have a limited time with the people that are important to us. If you have someone in your life that you have left behind, that grudges have kept you separated, think about reaching out to them. It is spring, new life is emerging all around us. Breathe new life into old relationships and bury old grudges in the warm moist soil. Maybe a new beautiful wild flower will emerge to take its place.

1 comment:

  1. Just found out the white flower is bloodroot, still don't know what the blue one is though

    ReplyDelete