Tuesday, January 18, 2011

SHOWER DAY!!!!

Look at it, running water from a shower head. Isn't it just about the most beautiful thing you have ever seen! The gentle stream that trickles upon your head, down through your hair. It glides its way down to your shoulders and back. Finally it reaches your feet. Aaaaahhhh.

Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy a nice relaxing bath. For cleaning and also relaxation, nothing tops a hot shower. After a bath I just don't have that clean feeling. Once the soap is in the water it just looks dirty. When I get out, I feel like it is all still on me. For relaxing and just getting lost in my own thoughts a bath is great. For relaxing, getting lost in my own thoughts and getting clean, the shower is for me!

And we worked so hard for this shower. We still have some little cosmetic things to finish up.
For instance our shower caddy needs to be replaced. It is brush nickel, just doesn't go with the oil rubbed bronze fixtures. But it functions just fine for now. We are going to paint the bath tub. It needs it and is a lot cheaper than replacing it. It is a cast iron tub, so would have been a bear to get out. That process will take 3 to 5 days to finish. Not looking forward to not being able to shower or bathe for that long. Maybe I'll paint it and then go visit Des Moines while it cures. I don't know. We also need to finish the trim around the shower, and well, the rest of the bathroom. We need to replace the walls with green board, and paint it. Replace the floor and do something with the ceiling. A lot more work ahead of us.

But the shower is done and running and I am so HAPPY!!!!
Now, if this has inspired you to to try tiling your own shower, here are some tips. First tip, DON'T! If you have the money to hire someone else to do it PAY THEM! It is very hard work and if don't have a week or so to devote to only your shower, it would be worth the money to have someone else do it. Second, if you are going to do it anyway, start with something easier. Try tiling a counter top or anything else that gravity isn't going to be working against you. That way you can get a feel for the thin set and grout. Learn how it is supposed to look and feel and work. Doing a shower as a first time tiler, wasn't my smartest move. It is all worth it though. I love the way it turned out. Putting in a tub surround would have been easier, faster and probably cheaper. No one else has my shower in their bathroom though. I do like the way it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment