Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day Thoughts

My mother died in May of 1988. It has been twenty-four years since I have bought a Mother's Day card for my mother. An old friend of mine, and her mother had a falling out many, many years ago. Recently, they have been starting, slowly to reconnect. Very slowly, but baby steps are much better than no steps. My hope for both of them is that they get past whatever happened between them. They are both very lucky to be able to have the chance to find their way back to each other. I saw today, on Facebook, that my friend did reach out to her mom with a Happy Mother's Day, made me very happy!

I saw this little family, when I got home today. When I first saw them they were all cuddled together at the edge of my yard. Of course, when I got the camera, they got nervous and split apart. Mom never got very far from the baby. I'm sure if I'd gotten any closer that Dad would have dive bombed me.
As I was downloading the pictures from my camera, I found this one of Kahlen from the last time she was here. Wow, was it really clear back in January? She was making brownies to take home for her mommy. Happy Mommy's Day Alyssa. You have the most beautiful little girl in the world! You and Shane have done an amazing job! I can't wait to meet Kahlen's new brother or sister!

 To my mom, we had a different kind of mother - daughter relationship. You were eccentric, original, creative and one of a kind. You taught me that things can be done in many different ways, including parenting. I do know that you did your best. I know you loved us kids in your own special way.  You taught me both how to be, and how not to be a good mom. Lessons that every mother needs to learn. Parenting is not about being perfect, it is about being human. Humans have never been, nor will they ever be... perfect. The real trick is doing it a little better than your own mother did, and I think you did. I love you and I miss you.

To Willie's mom, Virginia, thank you for being the strong, stable, and amazing mother that you were, not just to your children, but to me as well. You were there for Willie and me through thick and thin. After my mother passed away, you filled in the gap in a way no one else could. You were the grandmother to my children, the only one they really knew. They looked forward to seeing you and still talk about how you made them the best ice cream sundaes ever. You were very sneaky about how you spoiled them rotten. They, Willie and I all loved and adored you. You are missed very much.

For all Mother's both here and gone, this day is for you. We remember you, we love you and we honor you. Happy Mother's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment