Friday, March 28, 2014

Things I've Been Working On

Valerie is getting married in November. Something I am looking forward to very much. She is going to be a very beautiful bride. Her fiance is a kind, good, hard working man. He has a calm spirit that complements Valerie's high spirits in a way that enriches both of their personalities. They are so good together.

Right now, my sites are set on her bridal shower. I have picked out a theme, which I will not divulge here. While Valerie has seen most of what I am working on, she doesn't know the whole theme yet.

She worried me at one point. I had already made many paper flowers and painted some jars. I had already put quite a bit of time into things.
 "I don't really want a shower or a bacholerett party." She said matter of factly. "I don't really need much as far as household stuff." I'm sure my face must have dropped.

"Well, dear," I started, "you can talk to your sister about the bacholerett, but, you are going to have a shower." If I have to, I'll just tell people to get her gift cards to Lowes. They want to paint and stuff like that so why not.

I have been busy making paper flowers, saving and painting jars and planning how I want to use them all. I decided that I want to use repurposed items. It actually amazes me just how fast you can save glass jars. You think that everything is in plastic now a days. There are a lot of things still in glass though. Which is good for me since painted glass jars are a big part of the decor for the shower.
 I started paining the jars all one color. They were a rose gold color. It was very pretty. I liked it a lot. Until I started getting bored with it. The shower is going to be in the fall some time. I decided to start adding more colors. Some bold,  some not so bold. By the time I'm done they will all have a common theme, though.

Some are decorated with other materials as well. I have a book of upholstery samples that I got in St. Louis at a store that sells items that can be repurposed. I paid a few bucks for it and it has been a big part of what I've been doing.

 Some of the flowers I've made have been made from paper, but others out of the samples. I've been having a lot of fun experimenting and using different materials and methods.

I've also been making origami flowers. Mostly, roses. Some are made from brown paper bags, some from newspapers, and others from parchment paper.
 Pinterest is definitely a huge help with it all. I have gotten some ideas from there. A few ideas have been my own. And I learned how to make the origami flowers on YouTube.

When all is said and done, hopefully, it will all look the way I think it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment